gold dr martens Church info

cool doc martens Church info

Recent archeological evidence suggests that there has been Christian worship since Roman times on the site of what is now the church of Upwell St Peter.

Where once stood a Roman house church, then a more substantial Saxon building, the earliest parts of the present church date back to the 13th century and each generation since has added its contribution to both the fabric of the building and the spiritual life of the community.

The significant architectural features of the church building include the 13th century carved wooden angels,
gold dr martens Church info
the 15th century stone font and the stained glass window installed in 1912. The church also has what is believed to be the largest coat of arms in Norfolk and a working set of bells in the tower, which are still played regularly.

Upwell St Peter church is listed in Simon Jenkin’s book England’s Thousand Best Churches.

The parish of Upwell St Peter is in the Wisbech deanery of the Diocese of Ely.

It is linked with the church of St Clement in the neighbouring village of Outwell, with other parishes in the surrounding area through the recently established Bridges Group and with local churches of other denominations through Welle Churches Together.
gold dr martens Church info

This entry was posted in Uncategorised and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.